Wednesday, October 26, 2011

90's Fashion & Trends

As I stated in my intro to Nostalgia, fashion in the 90's was piss poor...but the good news is: we all looked like idiots together!  I don't remember when it happened, but at some point in the 90's I went from a little kid to a really confused teenager...hence "early 90's" and "late 90's" trends:

Early 90's Trends:
 (Think Elementary School)

T-Shirt Clips
Yes, the infamous T-Shirt clip...the best way to make an oversized shirt fit snugly over your stirrup pants.  They came in plain colors and the fancy glittery ones with rhinestones.  Don't deny it...you had some too.


Stirrup Pants
Speaking of which...stirrup pants: the worst fashion trend for a child with long legs.  No matter how much my mom and I pulled from leg to waist of these things, I could never stretch them out enough to where the crotch wasn't halfway down my thighs.  I'm pretty sure my mother cut the stirrups out of a lot of them for me...we just covered them up with slouch socks.


Slouch Socks
Ok, I'm onto something now...a full 90's outfit where one trend leads into another.  Slouch socks were a trend that some people never got out of...remember I live in Rock Hill.  Whether they're white or layered in colors to match your outfit, nothing was more important than getting the perfect slouch.

Keds
We called them "bobo's" in my house...as in the shoes that you could wear with anything and not care if they got messed up because they were $7.99 at Belk. I had them in pretty much every color...but the white, that's the classic shit right there!


Scrunchies
Classic 90's trend...and yet another one that some people can't get out of their heads (pun intended).  I had a million of these things...and I'm pretty sure my mom custom made a lot to match my sundresses that she also sewed for me.  Later in the 90's, scrunchies were worn on the wrist...even if you weren't planning on putting your hair up.


Banana Clips
If you weren't wearing a scrunchie that matched your outfit, you had a banana clip in to give that "waterfall" look.




 Late 90's Trends
(think Middle School) 
 
Hypercolor T-Shirts
Nothing cooler than breathing on your friend's t-shirt to see if you can make the colors change.


Umbro's
Whether you played soccer or not, these shorts were the Soffee shorts of the late 90's.  I had them in every color imaginable.


Flannel Shirts/Plaid Shirts
The late 90's brought a fashion trend that confused the shit out of most parents: Grunge.  Why on Earth would you want to dress like a bum?  Well, mostly because everyone else was.  Only rule, never button the shirt all the way up, and if you add a sweater tied around the waist...even cooler.


VAN's and Airwalk's
Another trend that went with a sport that you didn't actually have to participate in to appreciate the attire.  All my friends in Middle school were skateboarders and surfers, so the VAN's and Airwalk Shoes were seriously everywhere at Laing Middle School.


JNCO Jeans
Seriously, WTF were people thinking?  I had ONE pair of these atrocious jeans and my mother shook her head every time I wore them.


 CK1
Ahh, the "universal" cologne.  Don't lie...you had some too.


Mood Rings
Mood rings put Claire's Boutiques on the map!


Best Friends Necklaces
Another Claire's specialty.


Butterfly Clips
The more the merrier, right?  Oh dear.

3 comments:

  1. AnonymousJune 29, 2012

    is this site american?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 100% American - Made in the USA! :)

      Delete
  2. Forgot about some of these, this really took me back! HAHA ;)

    ReplyDelete

I've told you what I think...what do you think?