Tuesday, November 29, 2011

My Blood Runneth Orange

In case you haven't heard, SC destroyed my Tigers this past weekend.  Yes, I said it..."my Tigers".  I'll get to that in a bit...but first lets talk about the rivalry for all my yankee friends that may or may not understand the Palmetto Bowl.

The rivalry is the longest uninterrupted series in the south, and the second longest uninterrupted series overall, having been played every year since 1909.  The school's rivalry actually started out as a political issue way before it was about the amazing game of football.  These schools have been at it for over 130 years.

From birth, children in the great state of South Carolina are raised Gamecocks or Tigers.  The winning team of this rivalry game gets bragging rights for 364 days.  There's a whole lot more to it than that, but that's not what's important right now.

Ok, enough history...time to get dirty.

I woke up Sunday morning after the big game more pissed off than I had ever been after a football game.  Not because the Clemson Tigers stunk it up the night before, but because of the comment that was made on my Facebook status.

I didn't say anything like "I'm done being a Clemson fan" or "I hate South Carolina Football" or "Screw Clemson Athletics"...nope.  My status read: "I have so much to say about the events of the evening...rest assured it will be blogged.  Going to sleep still a Tiger and waking up with a conference championship game to look forward to."

Slight jab at the Gamecocks for not making it to the SEC Championship...but not as rude as some comments people were making on Facebook.  For example: "Where are all the Clemson fans?  What a bunch of freaking losers".

Those really don't bother me...they just make me realize that I have more class than some.

What bothered me is the smart ass comment on my status from a person that will not be named:
"Last time o (I) checked you are a Winthrop grad, not a Clemson grad. Go Cocks."

You're right, I went to Winthrop, Mr. College Football Nazi.  I didn't know that I was not allowed to cheer for a team unless I went to that school.  Damn.  All these years wasted.

I also didn't realize I needed to justify my loyalty to my college football team...but here goes:
  • Grandfather was a Clemson grad
  • Stepfather was a Clemson grad
  • 3 cousins are Clemson grads
  • Stepfather was a Clemson athlete
  • Grandfather was Executive Vice President, University Counsel and Secretary of the Board of Trustees for Clemson University
No, my name is not on that list...but does that forbid me from being a fan?  I applied to Clemson, but then decided to focus on my artistic abilities and go to an accredited school for Interior Design (Winthrop University being the only in-state accredited school). Choosing career future over football loyalty - seems logical, right?  Yep.

Winthrop does not have a football team...I know, a sacrifice for a college football fan to attend such a school.  But Winthrop DOES have a basketball team that I DO support.  

So, to you, Mr. College Football Nazi...BOOM.  Clemson didn't pull out a win last weekend, but we're going to the ACC Championship game.  Where will you be December 3rd?  Oh, that's right...nowhere.  And to your comment about "buying tickets to the Atlantic 'Cupcake' Conference just to see Clemson lose to VA Tech"...please do...the "Cupcakes" would love to take your money.

"Solid Orange...it's all about pride".  Pride in a team, pride in a school...no matter where your Alma Mater may be.

On another note...congrats to the South Carolina Gamecocks on the win.  We'll see you next year in Death Valley.

65-40-4


*Upon further investigation and chatter - Winthrop is actually considered Clemson's "sister school".  They were  both opened up about the same time, and Clemson was the state's all-boys school and Winthrop was the state's all-girls school.  They both have Tillman towers, named for Benjamin Tillman.  So...again...BOOM.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you what I think...what do you think?