Monday, March 5, 2012

Veggie Lasagna

I stayed home from work to try and get some rest, and I did...but I also learned three very important things: 
1.) Daytime television sucks.
2.) If I am cooking, my mind is not concentrating on what's wrong with my body.
3.) Dr. Oz will make you believe that anything and everything will give you cancer.

So, in my attempt to relive cabin fever I trucked it to EarthFare to pick up some veggies for the week.  $40 later, I'm tired again and headed home to make something delicious that will occupy some of my day.

A few months back, my friend Stacy came up to visit me.  She made an organic "Spaghetti Stew" with all organic veggies and grass fed beef.  It was delicious.  SO I took her idea and elaborated a little (including removing the meat)...thus, Veggie Lasagna.

Basically you can make this with whatever kind of veggies you like.  I chose: squash, zucchini, carrots, onions, jalapeno peppers, red peppers, yellow peppers, orange peppers, mushrooms, garlic and kale.  
rabbit food.
I sauteed each of the bowls of veggies individually with olive oil, sea salt and pepper then added them all (except the kale) to a huge stock pot with two jars of organic marinara sauce.
forgot to photograph both of them...
 Simmer for about an hour, then add the kale for an additional 15 minutes.
this smells delicious.
This amount of sauce will make a HUGE lasagna, so I took four servings out of it and packaged it in individual servings and tossed them in the freezer.  Easy meal: thaw and pour over whole wheat pasta!


Speaking of whole wheat pasta, I boiled a package of lasagna noodles til they were almost al dente.  Then started building my lasagna.


Layer noodles, veggie sauce, then cheese (used shredded mozzarella cheese)...then repeat.  I may or may not have put red pepper flakes in between layers...I like it spicy!
layers of deliciousness.   

Bake for 30-45 minutes (depending on pan size)....and...
ta da!
 Needless to say, more than 3/4 of this will be frozen for later...but the piece I had for din din was yummy!


Cheers y'all!




 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you what I think...what do you think?