Wednesday, September 7, 2011

"Burn One Down"

I gave up on learning chords after the 4th one...It's boring.

So in my search to find a song that was easy to learn, I started listening to my iPod and figuring out what songs had a repeated run or simple chord changes.  A 3 hour drive to and from Charleston was as good a time as any to start this process.

After realizing that I have over 200 DMB songs, I also realized that the man is a genius.  I've always known that when it comes to playing guitar, Dave was incredible...but now knowing what goes into making "shapes" for chords, I'm beyond words.

So, obviously a Dave song is out.

Jack Johnson songs - cool runs, very difficult to make them sound like he can.

No country - at least not yet...

And then I found a gem...hidden away in a playlist named "Jam On"...

Ben Harper: "Burn One Down".  This song takes me back to a weekend with a bunch of girls from college.  We drove to Clemson from Winthrop for the Clemson/USC game and listened to this song until everyone in the car knew every single word.  

So, I sat down last night and googled the tabs for said song...and behold...I found my first song to learn! (other than "Smoke on the Water")

Currently, it's a very broken and slow version of the song.  I've got to get my fingers to do what my brain knows to do...you'd think this would be easy.  I get half way thru the run and BOOM...I eff up and make myself start over.

Practice schedule: going to play the intro until I have it perfect...then I'll move onto the chorus.

Just in case you were interested...

Intro
             G
E||-------|-------3----------3----|--------------------------|
B||-------|-------0----------0----|--------------------------|
G||-------|-------0----------0----|--------------------------|
D||-------|-------0----------0----|-----------------------0--|
A||-------|-------2----------2----|-----0--2-----3--2--0-----|
E||-------|--3---------3--3-------|--3--------3--------------|
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you what I think...what do you think?