Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Military May

This year seems to be cruising by - it's already May!  

So far this year, I have had some battles to face and have made it thru some of the lowest points so far in my life.  I have leaned on my faith more than ever and have built my relationship with God, who has been by my side thru all of my struggles.  "I can do all things thru Christ who strengthens me" (Philippians 4:13) has been more true than ever in the past several months.  I know He has always been there for me, but because of my new relationship with Him I feel closer than ever to our Creator.  I am so blessed and I thank Him every day for what He has given me.

We, as Americans, are all blessed to have the freedom we so often forget.  It is because of our brave Military men and women that allow us to have the freedom we have today.   We should all be constantly reminded of the sacrifices these men and women have made - we are all forever in debt to them.

I have a huge spot in my heart for our Military as I have several friends and family who are Veterans.  I have seen what war can do to a person - physically and mentally.  It takes a special person to put their life on the line for Freedom and their country.  Memorial Day is May 30th, and while you may think that it's merely the kick off to summer and a paid day off, it is not.  Memorial Day is a day for honoring those who have lost their lives defending our country.  What a better way to honor the fallen than to have an entire month of Military Appreciation!

When I started thinking about how I wanted to honor our Military this month, I did a good bit of research to find the organization I wanted to support.  I was inspired by a very special person and started looking into the Wounded Warrior Project.  The WWP was founded in 2003 by a group of Veterans in Virginia who were moved by stories of the injured service members returning from Afghanistan and Iraq.  It started as a program to provide comfort items to wounded service members and has grown into a support system and programs designed to assist warriors as they recover and transition back into civilian life.  These programs are structured around mind, body, economic empowerment and engagement and range from outdoor rehabilitative retreats, peer support, adaptive sports, employment assistance and giving warriors and their families a voice.  It's an amazing non-profit organization and I'm so excited to support them in May and beyond.

I have set up a personal fund raiser page thru WWP and set a goal of $500 to raise by the end of May.  I'm asking all of you to help me in this project and support the ones who give you freedom each and every day.  We will never be able to repay them for the bravery and courage they have, and the sacrifices they make - but we CAN give back to those who give everything for us.

Here's the link to my page:

Every dollar counts, every cent is appreciated!  The page will display your name as a contributor, but your donation amount will be kept private. 

Also, please "like" the Wounded Warrior Project on Facebook:
                http://www.facebook.com/wwpinc.fans.  

On their page you can "Thank a Warrior" and send a thank you card:

God Bless America and the brave men and women who do what they do every day so we have the freedom to do what we do every day. 

Cheers Y'all!

No comments:

Post a Comment

I've told you what I think...what do you think?